Adpoted May 7, 2007
The University has declared itself to be a drug-free work and educational environment. To help ensure the safety and well-being of faculty, staff, students, and the general public, the University is committed to maintaining a campus environment that is free of illegal drugs, and of drugs and alcohol that are used illegally. Accordingly, the University prohibits the consumption of alcoholic beverages on University property, except in accordance with state of Washington liquor license procedures; a further exception is made by Housing and Food Services in the case of individually sized containers consumed by adult (over-21) students behind closed doors in residence hall rooms or apartments. The University also prohibits the unlawful possession, use, distribution, or manufacture of alcohol or controlled substances (as defined in Chapter 69.50 RCW) on University property or during University-sponsored activities (Chapter 478–124 WAC). Violation of the University's alcohol and drug prohibitions is cause for disciplinary or other appropriate action, up to and including termination or dismissal, fines, and imprisonment; students found in violation of this stated prohibition are also subject to discipline in accordance with the requirements and procedures of the Student Conduct Code (Chapter 478–120 WAC). The complete University of Washington Policy, including available support services, is at

In compliance with UW Policy, the consumption of alcohol is prohibited at all SEFS-sponsored events, including field trips, at any SEFS facilities (including UWBG, Pack Forest, ONRC, and the Wind River Field Station, as well as wherever the field trip(s) take place), with two exceptions:
  • private possession and use by adults (21 years and older) behind closed doors in a dorm room, apartment, house (private space), or tent, and
  • adult use at a social event appropriately licensed by the Washington State Liquor Control Board through a Banquet Permit acquired through University channels and complementary to and part of a planned program. Responsibility for implementing UW and School policy rests with each member of the SEFS community. In the specific case of courses or field trips, instructors will assure that the possession and use of alcohol is prohibited, as well as invoke the Student Conduct Code to initiate disciplinary proceedings in any cases where students' private use of alcohol violates acceptable Standards of Conduct in a public setting (WAC 478-120-020 2.b and 2.c ).
On those occasions where alcohol will be served, the state of Washington requires a posted Washington State Liquor Control Board banquet permit, which authorizes the service and consumption of alcohol at an organized gathering at a specified date and place. The banquet permit applicant must be a faculty or staff member of the School who will be in attendance at the event; authorization will not be given to undergraduate or graduate students. Approximately 2 weeks before the event, a UW Authorization to Apply for a Banquet Permit to Serve Alcoholic Beverages (UoW 1251) must be completed by the applicant and approved by the SEFS Director’s Office and the Committee on the Use of University Facilities, 239M Gerberding Hall, Box 351241, phone 206-543-9233; The applicant must assure compliance with all conditions stated on the authorization form, including establishing monitoring procedures that prohibit use or distribution of alcohol by minors, as well as excessive use by individual adults. UW policy precludes program participants from providing their own alcoholic beverages.

SEFS Specific Instructions for the UW Banquet Permit
The UW Banquet Permit to Serve Alcoholic Beverages (UoW 1251) can be found here. When opening this form, you will first be asked to accept the Terms of the Agreement. After accepting the agreement, you will be presented with the online form. In box 1, enter your name. If you are a student, or representing a student organization, enter your name followed by the name of the staff or faculty member who is your advisor. Then in box 7, enter "School of Environmental and Forest Sciences."

The SEFS Director, Tom DeLuca,, provides approval. Full information is necessary for approval. Please e-mail the director with the details of your event before submitting this form.